TL;DR: A home inspection is a crucial step when buying a property in Bali, providing a detailed overview of the home’s condition from a qualified inspector. Inspectors look for structural issues, safety hazards, and potential problems in the home’s systems.
What is a Home Inspection?
A home inspection is a visual inspection of the structure and systems of a home. It is carried out by a qualified inspector who will assess the home’s condition, from the roof to the foundation.
The inspection will also include a review of the electrical, plumbing, heating, and cooling systems. We also look for signs of any potential problems or hazards.
What Do Home Inspectors Look For?
During a home inspection, we typically look for:
- Structural Issues: We examine the construction of the visible foundation, look for evidence of sagging or bowing of the structure, and check window alignment. Any large cracks will be noted too.
- Safety: We assess the condition of fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, fire sprinklers, stairs, hand, and guardrails.
- Roof and Attic: We inspect both the interior and exterior of the roof, checking for leaks and the condition of shingles and gutters. If the attic is accessible, we look for proper ventilation and any signs of leaking or water damage.
- Plumbing: We look for any leaks, inspect the water heater, and test the water pressure. We also check that the toilets, sinks, and showers operate and drain normally.
- Electrical Systems: We look for outdated wiring, test electrical outlets, and check the condition of the breaker box.
- AC Systems: We examine the cooling systems and check that they are operating normally.
- Interior: We look for signs of water damage, inspect all appliances, and test doors and windows.
- Exterior: We examine the condition of exterior paint or siding, look for cracks in the exterior walls, and check for cracks in the foundation. We also assess the situation of the driveway and walkways around the house.
- Ventilation and Insulation: We ensure there is proper ventilation in areas like the attic and near the roof. We also look for any signs of mold or water damage caused by poor insulation.
While we hope to check all of these, sometimes they are inaccessible. For example, if access to certain areas is blocked off by the homeowner or if they are unsafe for us to check.
What Are The Benefits of Home Inspections?
Benefits of Home Inspections for Buyers:
- Informed Decision Making: A home inspection provides detailed information about the condition of the property, helping buyers make an informed decision about whether to proceed with the purchase.
- Identifying Potential Costs: Home inspections can reveal potential issues that may require costly repairs in the future. Knowing these in advance can help buyers budget accordingly or negotiate the price.
- Safety: Home inspections can identify safety issues like lack of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, mold, and improperly wired outlets – which are important for the health and safety of the occupants. By the way, if you don’t already have these, head over to Tokopedia or Ace and grab them immediately.
- Negotiation Power: If a home inspection reveals issues that need to be addressed, buyers can use this information to negotiate a lower price or request that the seller makes the necessary repairs.
Benefits of Home Inspections for Sellers:
- Preemptive Repairs: A pre-listing home inspection allows sellers to address any issues before listing the property, potentially increasing its market value.
- Smooth Transaction: By addressing issues upfront, sellers can prevent surprises that could delay or derail the selling process.
- Pricing Advantage: Knowing the condition of the property can help you, as a seller, price it accurately.
- Buyer Confidence: A pre-listing inspection can give potential buyers confidence in the condition of the home, making it more attractive and potentially selling faster.
How Can I Book a Home Inspection in Bali?
It’s easy! Simply head to our services page and find which type suits your needs. You can book through WhatsApp and we can also answer any questions you may have. You can also click the little green WhatsApp logo on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen and send us a message now! We’re happy to help.
A home inspection is an important step in the process of purchasing a property in Bali. It is important to hire a qualified and experienced home inspector who can identify potential problems or hazards that may not be visible to the untrained eye. Be sure to check out our blog post on home maintenance as well if you’re a homeowner but not in the market to sell. This will keep your house in good shape until you are.
By following the advice outlined in this article, you can ensure that you are making an informed decision when purchasing a home in Bali.